Blah blah blah, no internet in Eastbourne, blah blah blah, back in London, blah blah blah, lots of catching up to do, I know.
So now that we've exchanged pleasantries...
WHAT'S UP GUYS!
Here's my quick recap:
- Eastbourne was really trule awesome. One of my favorite tournaments.
- Shared a bottle of celebratory champagne with a bunch of Sam fans. A Frenchie, a Swiss, and a Dutchie, all of whom came all the way to Eastbourne to see our girl. That's pretty cool.
- Was awoken every morning at 4am by the horrifying squacking of seagulls.
- Ran away from Sam three times. No...wait...four times.
- Stood awkwardly close to Venus as she watched the Mono vs. Lucie match.
- Literally got drunk every single night.
- Avoided the "breakfast" part of my bed and breakfast like a boss.
- Yelled "Good Luck, Petra!" and got bitch-face in return. Ok...it was more like apathy-face.
- Saw Sam and Jarka argue line calls in their own adorable ways. My favorite was when a ball from the next court rolled onto theirs during a point. Sam and Jarka stopped playing and umpire didn't call a let. The exchange went a little like this:
Sam: "The ball rolled onto the court."
Ump: "I didn't see it until after the point was over."
Sam: "Does it matter when you see it?"
Ump: "I saw it in the middle of the court after the point was over."
Sam: "Well...what did you think the ball was doing before it got to the middle of the court?"
Ump: "That's my call."
Sam: [pointing at Sania and Vezzie] "Look. Even they're laughing about this."
Aaaaand scene. It was pretty classic.
- The best thing about Eastbourne was seeing the players stroll around watching matches. It's just such a relaxed atmosphere and the fans were the type to notice them but not mob them. I saw Venus and Vika watching Marion, Sam watching Jarka, Shveddy shopping at one of the booths, and Marion stand in line for a coffee with her dad. It was nice.
- It's easy to make fun of all the old folks at Eastbourne. Lord knows I cracked a joke or 20. But I was so impressed by the attendance throughout the week. It sure did beat the half empty stands at Miami, Madrid, or Queens during the day sessions.
- I was way more impressed with Venus' level than Serena's. That said, I didn't watch a single point of Serena's match vs. Vera. So basically this sentence means absolutely nothing.
- No way Petko makes the second week of Wimby.
- The player who made my jaw drop this week: Aga. Boy, she really really knows how to work that grass. The Ninja moved me.
- Dani beating Nails. Not a surprise but definitely a statement.
- Dude. British people really know how to rock a picnic. I stood in awe every day.
More on Eastbourne soon. I have some great pics and video. But I'm riveted by Rory and I need to hit the sack to queue up for tickets tomorrow by 6am. Tennis fans are nucking futs, you guys.