Sam has looked fabulous through two matches on Laver in front of packed home crowds. Most impressive has been her improved movement. Chick can actually kind of stop on a dime and change directions now and she's doing a lot of shuffling and taking tiny steps to get into position. I like what I see. She'll have a tough test against Kvitova next.
The same boys from the US Open are here to sing along and get the crowd going. Here, in order, are the Sammy Cheers from tonight:
- "Sammy, Sammy, Sammy! Oi! Oi! Oi!" A classic and still my favorite.
- A crew of girls in white tank-tops that spelled out "SAMWOW" with green and yellow pom poms, spelling out SAMWOW like it was Bring It On.
- "Aussie fans in the stands if you hear us clap your hands!" A universal cheer, I'm guessing.
- "We love Sammy, yes we do. We love Sammy, how bout you?" A tough cheer if you can't rely on a response. Not so much a response tonight. Get in the game, Aussies.
- "What is love? Sammy don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more." Sung when she's up 40-0. Well done.
- "Boom! Shake shake shake the room! Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, BOOM!" Sung on aces. Nice.
- "Ole Ole Ole Ole, Sammy's Hot Hot Hot!" Giggles.
Well done, boys and girls. Here's hoping the crowds down the road get into it, too.