Here's the thing about doing predictions. I don't have a problem making predictions. I talk out of my ass all the time. What I do have a problem with is doing a shitload of work for nothing. I've been staring at this bracket for the past two days and while I've scribbled names in a crossed names out only to scribble them back in, it finally dawned on me: What's the point of doing an entire bracket prediction when it could all go to shit after Monday? I am many things, but above all, I am lazy. I don't like doing shit that doesn't matter.
So I'm not going do a bracket prediction. Everyone else has done one and they're all a hell of a lot smarter than me (and harder working, I might add). Besides, if you read this site I'm going to assume that you're a tennis fan who has his or her own opinions on matter. I'm not sure why you would care what I think. So I'm going to take it a day at a time, which is what I do anyway as both a tennis fan and non-recovering maybe-alcoholic, and just note the matches I'll be keeping my eye on and why.
So here's Monday's OOP:
Rod Laver Arena
1. Tanasugarn v Sharapova -- Did you guys know these two have won 2 dubs titles together? Weird. Anyway, this will be my first look at a Joyce-less Masha.
2. Wozniacki v Dulko -- Who knows where Gisela's game is at, but everyone's got their eye on this one and I think we all know why.
3. Lacko v Federer
4. Wickmayer v Groth (NB 7:00 pm) -- This is my match of the day. Should be a cracker and it's great that Jarka got Laver.
5. Granollers v Djokovic
1. De Bakker v Monfils -- Rumor has it Gael's got a bum back. Prime time for pickins Thiemo.
2. Roddick v Hajek
3. V.Williams v Errani -- First look at Venus. Who knows, you know?
4. Henin v Mirza -- I suspect Justine will absolutely roll over Sania, but it still seems like a match people should be interested. Sania has not been impressive in qualifying. Trust me Sania, Justine ain't hitting to your forehand like all your qualie opponents did.
Margaret Court Arena
1. Parra Santonja v Schiavone -- How's that leg, Fran?
2. Hantuchova v Kulikova
3. Ondraskova v Dokic
4. Luczak v Ljubicic
5. Schuettler v Verdasco (NB 7:00 pm)
1. Kubot v Querrey
2. Li v Arvidsson
3. Berdych v Crugnola
4. Woehrle v Azarenka
1. Rodina v Rogowska
2. Fish v Hanescu -- I don't know, I smell a Hanescu win here.
3. Wawrinka v Gabashvili
4. Riske v Kuznetsova -- Pretty sure Sveta will take it, but then again, which Sveta will show?
1. Hradecka v Brianti
2. Harrison v Mannarino -- Ryan!
3. Craybas v Petkovic -- Petko!
4. Almagro v Robert
1. Benneteau v Monaco -- Match to watch #2 for me.
2. Marino v Namigata
3. Garbin v Bartoli
4. Lu v Simon -- Simon rolled when they met last week, but his legs have to be tired after his title run in Sydney. If he wins he gets Fed. Here's hoping Rendy rolls over so Gilly can get some rest.
1. Bacsinszky v Niculescu
2. Davydenko v Mayer
3. Robredo v Devvarman
4. Keothovong v Rodionova -- GET IT, ANNE.
1. Fognini v Nishikori
2. Vesnina v Razzano
3. Dancevic v Gasquet
4. Mattek-Sands v Rus -- BMS has been a January workhorse. Hoping she's still got something in the tank. A win could get her Sveta in 2R.
1. Goerges v Gallovits
2. Andujar v Malisse
3. Dimitrov v Golubev -- A win would put Grigor up against Stan. Not sure why, but I'm feeling a late 1st week run for the kid.
4. Hampton v Baltacha -- U.S. vs. GB. The GB ladies lost Robbie and had a tough go in qualies with Anne the only one making it through. Hoping they can get something going in the main draw.
1. Gil v Cuevas
2. Paszek v King -- Remember when Tamira was, like, a thing? Go Vania.
3. Cipolla v Paire
4. Hercog v Sevastova
1. Kerber v Cibulkova
2. Kohlschreiber v Kamke
3. Zahlavova Strycova v Rezai -- Kick back, get some Junior Mints and a large soda. This one's gonna be DRAMAZ.
4. Karlovic v Dodig
1. Stakhovsky v Brands
2. Sprem v Scheepers
3. Dabul v Mahut
4. Manasieva v Pous-Tio
1. Kanepi v Rybarikova
2. Pironkova v Parmentier
3. Troicki v Tursunov -- Vik's gotta rebound from his loss to Gilles in Sydney. Dima is fun to look at.
4. Zverev v Tipsarevic -- JANKO.
1. Berlocq v Haase
2. Zahlavova v Voracova
3. Andreev v Volandri
1. Przysiezny v Kunitsyn
2. Montanes v Brown
3. Mayr v Hlavackova