Well kids, it's December, which means it's time for everyone to grab a spot around the fire, grab some egg nog (or straight up whisky if you're me), and listen closely as I pore through the FD annals to remind us all that yes, we have lived through yet another full year of professional tennis. Somehow. By the grace of God.
I honestly don't remember much of the January lead-up to the Australian Open because I was busy sunning myself in Vietnam (tough life, right?) while Christina (yes, FD Podcast Christina) held down the fort. And quoted The Economist. Just to spite me.
- I mean, really, is there anything that symbolizes Forty Deuce 2010 than this: The first post of the year was on this little gem of a lady.
- Sam and A-Rod switched luggage.
- Masha foreshadowed her year.
- But then we had the glory that was Hopman Cup. Seriously, does this tournament ever disappoint? Can't wait for 2011.
- Um...Justine returned. Her fans are lucky I wasn't the one writing about it.
- Hey, remember when New Zealanders got retarded? And not in a "hip to be square" Black Eyed Peas kind of way?
- Someone who looks like Dinara ate Dinara and then went on a ridiculous crash diet.
- Ivo rapped.
- The players went to the zoo and shit got friskaaaaay.
- I got a lovely birthday present.
- Somehow, and I'm really not sure how, The Economist was quoted on Forty Deuce.
- Introducing Andrea Petkovic. Who knew?
- Justine and Kim played a match.
- Things You May Not Remember: Kolya started the year by beating Fed and Rafa in the same tournament.
- Toooootally forgot that JJ started the year *with* Ricardo.
- Masha got a huge payday from Nike and then gets engaged 10 months later. COINCIDENCE??? Way to lock that down, Sasha.
- Elena won what would be the second-to-last tournament of her illustrious career. Unfortunately, she was wearing whatever the heck she was wearing.
- Holy crap. Remember when ATomic was, like, a thing?
- Oh, and the Yanina Wickmayer AO nonsense. Man, seriously, this was THIS year???
- ZOMG, REMEMBER THIS???
- I would love to see this rescored with a Best Coast song. Ana pretty.
- January ended with Feliciano, a pink shirt, and a baby lion. Not sure what that was supposed to foreshadow for February.
Next up, that sticky wicky thing called the Australian Open....