Some cool (or not cool, depending on your fandom) facts and figures out of Doha:
- A win over Kim today would secure Bepa the #2 ranking, otherwise it's still up for grabs with Kim.
- Sam will finish at #6, but with every win she'll jump one spot. The ladies she could leapfrog? Venus (#5) and Serena (#4). That's right, if Sam wins the whole thing she would finish at #4 ahead of Serena. How's that for a mindfuck? Then again, at least she actually beat Serena this year, at a Slam no less. But if you want Serena to be in the Top 4 going into AO11, you should probably root against my girl. Or you could root for your girl to play more than six tournaments in a year, but hey, what do I know.
- Fran is projected to finish at #7, with JJ, Lena, and Vika rounding out the top 10. Today's results will determine whether JJ and Lena finish 8 and 9, or vice versa.
- We'll have two 30 year olds in the Top 10. Get it, geezers.
- Lena will finish in the Top 10 for the 7th time in 8 years. The female Kolya, indeed.
- Kim is 16-1 since Wimbledon. That one loss? A three-setter to Bepa in Montreal. Intrigue!
- Caro and Bepa are the only two players to reach at least 6 finals this year. Caro preeeeeetty much won all hers and Bepa preeeeeetty much lost all hers. So...#1 and #2, disrespectfully.
- After a solid first half of the year (IW and SF of RG), JJ has lost 10 of her 16 matches since Wimbledon, including 4 losses to players ranked outside the Top 90 – No.129. From the first half of the season to the second half her glitter usage dropped by 72%. Yes, I made that up but it sounds 100% true.
Wasn't that fun?