And thus my relationship with New York continues.
Don't get me wrong. I love New York. All those epic quotes about how New York is the greatest city on earth? Don't be shocked if they come out of my mouth because I truly believe them. The food, the culture, just life in New York generally is like nothing else on earth. And believe me when I say I have mad respect for anyone who has ever grown up in Manhattan or has lived there for a prolonged period of time.
But GOD DAMN, do I hate New York. The bottom line is that I am, first and foremost, a kid from the Bay Area. We're inherently nice people. If I'm sitting on Muni and some dude starts to take a shit in the car, NO ONE SAYS A DAMN THING. Because really, who are we to judge? Dude, probably really has to go. All power to him. But you know what really pisses us off? Bad manners. Like seriously, the only time I've ever been involved in a near riot on Muni was when this girl was clamoring away on her laptop with her earphones in on one of the "Senior Benches" and was totally oblivious to the fact that an old woman had just boarded Muni. People were screaming at her to get her attention and when she finally realized what was up, she quickly got up and apologized profusely. Yeah, that's pretty much it.
Where was I going with this...
Oh yeah, the US Open. It's coming up. And while I used to get really excited about it, I just can't bring myself up for it this year. Maybe it's because I'm dreading the coronations of Mr. Federer and Ms. Serena. That might be part of it. Maybe it's because I hate the timing of having tennis on my continent, that when I'm heading off to work, tennis is just starting. I really don't know what it is.
But I'm trying to stay positive here. So here are the things I am looking forward to at the US Open:
- Honey Deuces for everyone!
- Hearing the J-Block get booed. From my house.
- Marin making it to the second week, even though he's given me no reason to hope for this.
- The return of the Glitter Queen. Please?
- Being absolutely useless at work because of all my scoreboard checking.
- Further adventures from the Coconut. It's New York. So many possibilities...
- Rafa making it to the semifinals. That would be HUGE.
- Fernando turning in an epic 5 setter that he eventually loses. But its a beautiful loss.
- Crazy Eyez Fed. Though something tells me he's all got it locked down now. Boo.
- Marat drawing A-Rod in the first round and playing a night match on Ashe. Because I hate myself and want to die.
- Ana making it to the second week. I'm a KAD, what can I say?
- Masha's return to Ashe.
- Nole withdrawing from a match due to heat exhaustion. I'm not a hater, I just know what's up.
- Kim Clijsters upsetting either JJ, Venus, Serena, or Lena in the early rounds.
- Sammy Stones' run to the second week.
- Muzz taking his first Slam by beating Fed in four sets. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
But the one thing that would make the USO absolute shite?
Fed taking out A-Rod, Rafa, and Muzz to capture his third straight Slam.
Sigh. I need to start preparing myself.
So let's hear it folks. What are you looking forward to?