The US Open draw is done. Download them here. I'm done trying to throw my chair out the window (this glass is way thicker than you'd think) so here are the highlights (and lowlights)
- Fed and Rafa are on opposite sides of the draw and can't meet before the final.
- Fed has A-Rod, Nole, and Kolya in his half. So...there's that.
- Lurking in Fed's half are potential spoilers Sods and Sam, though there's really no reason to believe Sods can do anything of note here.
- Nole and Roddick are in the same quarter. Nole gets Lubey in the first round. Its a pretty tough quarter, as Andy could have to go through Isner, Haas, and FeVer before getting to Nole. Nole on the other hand has it pretty easy, though he might get a chance to exact revenge on PEHK in the 3rd?4th? round.
- Muzz has a tricky quarter. He pulls Ernie in the first round and could face Ivo in the third. Stan, Marin also lurk in his 1/8. But of course, the big potential bullet? Crazy Elf is the other seed anchoring his quarter. They could meet in the quarterfinals. But DelPo will have to get through Pico. JCF, and Gilles to get there.
- Marat has pulled DoucheStamp in the first round with the winner probably playing Elf. Night match on Ashe if Marat wins?
- Which brings us to Rafa's draw, which is FUCKING BRUTAL. I mean, come on, even if the dude makes it through his quarter there's no way he'll have the gas to power through the Big 2.
- First, Rafa pulls Gasquet in the first round. Then he'll have to play what may be some brutal matches with Nico, Daveed, or Gael to get to the quarters. And in the quarters he could play either Gonzo, Big Berd, or Jo. In otherwords, he's going to have to grind through the early rounds against the dirtballers/pushers, and then deal with the big hitters in the quarters. Lovely.
- All this is to say...16.
- Serena and Venus are in the same half. Suck it, American press!
- Dinara has JJ, Lena, Kuz, and Pova in her half. JJ anchors her quarter. Lurking in her 1/8th, Kleybs, Lucie and Gypsy.
- JJ and Ana are in the same 1/8.
- Pavs and Oudin slated for 1R.
- Masha and Lena could meet in 3R. Probably better for Maria to play her early before her arm gets tired. But shhhh! *whispers*Don't tell anyone her arm is tired.
- Kuz and Boots anchor the last 1/8 of Dina's half. Lurking in that 1/8th is Sorana, who's coming off a foot injury. She could play Boots in the 3R.
- Other side of the draw is Williamstastic, with Serena getting the Draw of Revenge. She's pulled Alexa Glatch in the first round and Sammy Stones anchors her 1/8th. She could also play Bammer in 3R. Where's Klara?
- On the other side of Serena's quarter we have Headcases McGee. Vera, Chakky, Vezzie, Momo, Sania, and Flavs are all gunning to make the quarters. Let's face it, it's pretty wide open but if Flavs doesn't come out of that pack it'll be a damn disappointing end to her US hardcourt season.
- As for Venus' quarter, I just do not see her getting out of it. Her 1/8th is anchored by Mono (heh, anchored indeed), who's drawn Kimmy in 2R. I see Kimmy taking out Venus in 4R.
- The other half of that quarter has Vika, Nails, Burrito, and A-Rad. So I'm looking forward to a Vika/Kimmy quarterfinal, though really, I'd be interested to see a Vika/Venus quarter, too.
All in all, pencil Fed into the final. If anyone but Muzz is on the otherside, then hell, chisel Fed on #16. I personally still think Muzz can beat him so I'm not ready to just give Fed #16 yet. Then again, I've been drinking since I saw Rafa's draw so this is all just crazy talk.
As for the ladies, does it really matter what the draw is? In any two weeks Serena can either tear through it, or she can lose in the first round. So whatever. The real story (for anyone who *doesn't* work for the American media and is actually, oh I don't know, a tennis fan) is on Dina's half of the draw, where Dina, JJ, Lena, and Masha are all gunning for semifinal spots and Dina and Masha will be looking to avenge their rough losses during the USO Series.
What are y'all's thoughts?