So I've pretty much given Vika a free pass with her attitude because I have not seen her play too much, I just figured she was like Masha. Kind of icy but nothing past that. But having now seen her in person and "interacting" with her, yeah, she sucks hockey pucks.
Here's a run down of my observations:
- On Sunday night we watched her match against Vezzie. Obviously we were rooting for Elena because really, how can you not? So we're sitting first row on the left baseline and cheering hard for Vez. We weren't cheering during the point or cheering against Vika. Just rooting hard for Vez. At one point, Vika turns and glares at us and starts complaining to the umpire to shut us up, claiming that we're talking during the point, WHICH WE WEREN'T. The umpire basically told Vika to just play. But that was super super lame.
- I've seen her on the practice field a few times and she just doesn't seem to have a sense of humor at all. She was jogging with her iPod and her fitness coach kept trying to roll a soccer ball over to have her kick it. She kept looking at him like "what do you think you're doing?" and kept jogging. The coach had to go jog and get the ball back.
- I can't do it justice but Victoria had an awesome run in with her yesterday. [Insert Victoria's run in here (Victoria -- feel free to post it in the comments]
- The badge incident. Victoria and nyanafan were at the match for this. Apparently Vika flipped out for about 5 minutes because some lady's ticket badge was reflecting the sun and was pissing her off. Instead of just going to the umpire and asking him to take care of it, Vika apparently starts bitchily yelling directly at the fans.
- Autographs. Ok, you're 17 years old. The fact that people want your autograph should be a compliment and not something you blow off. Vika doesn't interact at all and looks super annoyed, and not an awesome way like Dina. Again, comparing her to her cohorts, she sucks. Woz and Pavs are totally genuinely happy and excited when people know who they are or say hi to them. They always look up and acknowledge it with a big smile. Vika just gives you the stink eye and acts like she's doing you a favor.
The kid's sense of entitlement is off the charts. I don't care if you're icy or just "not nice". But being outwardly rude to fans is just wrong. And if she isn't surrounding herself with a team that teaches her these very basic things she's going to lose fans very quickly. I know the five of us that have been here this week have pretty much written her off at this point. All it takes is 2 seconds to make and lose a fan. I've spent more than 2 seconds watching Vika and I'm totally over it. She may end up being a star and winning a bunch of Slams and whatnot. But no thank you.
Too bad it's a night match tonight. I'm still going to use my "Hey Dinara! You got this! She's looking woozy!" cheer.
(Pic for Forty Deuce by C Note)