Dina didn't lose to Razzano today. She was beaten by the ball kids. Those smug little bastards.
Ok yes, she did lose listlessly to Ichabod Crane, 64 62. It was truly a comedy of errors. Balls weren't getting picked up, weren't being thrown to her, couldn't get a proper towel off to save her life. Afterwards, Dina said this loss was worse than the one in Melbourne.
Duh. You lost to Ichabod Cran.
Otherwise it was an odd but predicable day. It was a hot one, which helped the bakers of the group as ReRe, Bepa, and Venus doled out bagels and breadsticks. Serena destroyed Errani after looking relly rusty and dropping the first set, Venus looked frickin' retarded in her solid win over 17 year old Pavylenchposuvjklnersoeirva (let's just got with Pavs for now), JJ beat Niculesci, and Lena beat Bammer.
Oh and sad face for Baby Rad. After notching a solid win over her sister yesterday she had to retire from a very tight match against Pin due to heat illness.
(1) Serena Williams (USA) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 46 62 60
Virginie Razzano (FRA) d. (2) Dinara Safina (RUS) 64 62
(3) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. Monica Niculescu (ROU) 63 62
(4) Elena Dementieva (RUS) d. Sybille Bammer (AUT) 75 62
(5) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (WC) Vera Dushevina (RUS) 60 63
(6) Venus Williams (USA) d. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 60 61
(10) Alizé Cornet (FRA) d. (Q) Julia Schruff (GER) 61 62
(11) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 76(5) 36 63
(12) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) d. Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 76(5) 64
(13) Zheng Jie (CHN) d. Samantha Stosur (AUS) 36 75 75
(14) Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) d. Alona Bondarenko (UKR) 62 75
(16) Kaia Kanepi (EST) d. (WC) Sania Mirza (IND) 75 62
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (LL) Ayumi Morita (JPN) 76(1) 62
(LL) Camille Pin (FRA) d. (Q) Urszula Radwanska (POL) 67(6) 75 20 ret. (heat illness)