Sneki's been talking back home in Serbia and here are the nuggets:
- They're negotiating with numerous other sponsors
- JJ will debut her new clothing sponsor at the Australian Open
- JJ won't be playing with a new racquet at the Australian Open because there hasn't been time to practice with new ones
- JJ might not play the Fed Cup tie against Japan in February because of "some complications" with the tennis governing body in Serbia. Apparently "they do not think in the right way".
- JJ's boyrfriend, Mladjan, is not Catholic. He's a Serb from Montenegro.
Kind of creepy that she had to defend Mladjan. But I'm no expert on all that stuff so no comment. The Fed Cup comment was interesting and surprising. I wonder if it's a money issue. I can't think of what else it could be.
The equipment stuff seems to be confirmed by this pic, which was taken after the New Year in Belgrade, where JJ is still using her Speedport White:
There's also a Wilson bag there but I think her hitting partner is hitting with a the [K]Tour. But there are reports that she was hitting with it for a bit. It would be a great signing for Wilson if they did land JJ.
But doesn't the racquet thing sound suspicious? Something smells fishy. My totally cynical reading of it is that none of the other top racquet manufacturers approached JJ to move away from Prince. JJ's team, nevertheless, demanded a lot of money from Prince. Seeing as how Team JJ had no leverage, Prince said Eff You and Team JJ had to scramble to find a new sponsor with a deal they liked ASAP. Because if she's playing with Prince at the AO she's just giving them free advertising.
Look at Nole and Ana. It seems to me they knew by the end of the season that they were switching racquet brands and thus had plenty of time to test racquets and get ready for the AO. It just seems like this deal was mismanaged.