Ah, the Safins. Flashes of brilliance in a sea of occasional idiocy.
The good news:
- Dinara is lookin' good! Slim and trim and yes, fitter than last year.
- Marat showed up.
- Yes, Dinara dyed her hair.
- Marat is alive.
- Yes Dinara won in straight sets over Flava Flav.
- Yes Marat won in straight sets over Goth Bols
- Absolutely, Dinara still loves pink.
- Dinara was clearly stoked to be on the same court as her bro.
The bad news:
- Marat got into what sounds like a bar brawl in Moscow but he's ok.
- Marat was super jet lagged, having flown in just yesterday.
- Italy got their revenge in Mixed doubles, coming back and winning in the Super Tiebreaker
- Dinara looked like she was ready to kill Marat by the end of the mixed doubles match.
The mixed doubles match was at times hilarious, at times infuriating, but always hilarious to watch. Marat kept picking on/flirting with Flavia by hitting soft volleys at her, and she kept winning each of those exchanges. Dina was clearly getting annoyed and Marat clearly didn't care. by the middle of the second set it was pretty clear that Marat's jet-lagged-tank was empty and it went downhill pretty darn quick. But seriously. It was a blast to watch.
I'm sure more pictures will surface in the morning. But for now, I'll leave you with these two to give you a flavor of what the doubles match was like. They did kiss and make up at the end.