Serbian magazine Blic has named JJ "Personality of the Year". Yup, that sounds about right:
Blic’s award for the personality of the year is only one of meny in your career. How do you deal with all these compliments?
- “Awards and compliments motivate me to continue working hard and achieving top results in order to justifie those awards and get to new ones,“ says world’s best tennis player Jelena Jankovic at the beggining of the interview.
A dream season is behind you, so to speak. Can you single out the most unforgettable moment in 2008?
-“You’re right, 2008 has really been the best year of my life. There were so many unforgettable moments, both professional and personal. I can’t decide what was more beautiful – winning tournament after tournament, spending time with the people I love, shooting a video for my sponsor, socializing with my fans or perhaps the Belgrade premiere of the movie about my life. And, of course, becoming number 1 in the WTA rankings. What a year, indeed!”
This is the first time you have embarked on a meticulous regime of preparations for a new season. Do you manage to stay disciplined?
-“I’m satisfied, I try to give my best every day. Although I have very gruelling practices, I feel good and nothing is hard for me, because there are no good results without work and effort. Much more of my time is dedicated to fitness training, so I feel stronger.”
What would you wish for 2009, both professionally and personally?
- “The most important thing is my health. I wish to win Grand Slam tournaments, and I’m hoping to win the forthcoming Australian Open. As for my personal life, I wish that all of us stay healthy, satisfied and happy. I would also like to have more time for fashion, and perhaps shoot a romantic comedy.”
And who do you intend to play opposite?
- “Opposite George Clooney, Keanu Reeves...”
Who will be the first person you will kiss in the New Year?
- “I am spending the holidays in Belgrade after many years. I’ll kiss a person who is next to me in that moment... In recent years I was always on the road due to tournaments. I was spending New Years eves primarily in airplanes. During those flights we were changing time zones, and therefore greeting New Year several times in just a couple of hours.”
Do tennis experts appreciate you more now that you are the world’s number 1, or are there no changes in that respect?
- “Being the world’s number one isn’t child’s play, only few tennis players in the history have achieved what I’ve managed to do. I’m pleased to have heard prominent people from the world of tennis congratulating me on the achievement. On the other hand, nowadays everyone pays a lot more attention and analyses my game and my shots, but that doesn’t bother me.”
Contracts with your sponsors Reebok and Prince are about to expire. Who will you sign sponsorship deals with in future and for what amount?
- “My agency that manages these things has made several fantastic moves. But I have to keep it a surprise till January 1th 2009.”
A professional tennis players’ life is always interesting. But what was the craziest thing that has ever happened to you?
- “There have been so many, but mischief with my brothers are my favourite.”
Have you learnt to cook in the meantime?
- “I really enjoy food, so, preparing a delicious meal isn’t a problem for me. I’m not bad at it. If I had more time, I’m sure everyone would enjoy my specialities.”
How are your studies coming?
- “My tennis obligations don’t allow me to dedicate myself to my studies as much as I would like. I think education is very important in a person’s life. I won’t be young forever and be a professional athlete. I’m a realistic person, with my feet firmly on the ground. I also think about “life after tennis”. I would like to take up acting and fashion, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have to get a university degree in some other area. So whenever I have some free time, I spend it studying, as one of my greatest aspirations is to obtain knowledge and a degree in management.”
With all your responsibilities, do you have any spare time?
- “In my spare time I read a lot, socialize with people deer to me, make telephone calls, design. And of course, I go shopping.”
When can we expect you for another coffee at Blic?
I love how over the top the write-up is. So nutty. So JJ.