1. Jelena Jankovic - Serbia - 4710
2. Serena Williams - United States - 3866
3. Dinara Safina - Russia - 3817
4. Elena Dementieva - Russia - 3663
5. Ana Ivanovic - Serbia - 3457
6. Venus Williams - United States - 3272
7. Vera Zvonareva - Russia - 2952
8. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Russia - 2726
9. Maria Sharapova - Russia - 2515
10. Agnieszka Radwanska - Poland - 2286
11. Nadia Petrova - Russia - 1976
12. Caroline Wozniacki - Denmark - 1678
13. Flavia Pennetta - Italy - 1670
14. Patty Schnyder - Switzerland - 1590
15. Victoria Azarenka - Belarus - 1494
16. Alize Cornet - France - 1492
17. Marion Bartoli - France - 1410
18. Anna Chakvetadze - Russia - 1363
19. Dominika Cibulkova - Slovakia - 1337
20. Katarina Srebotnik - Slovakia - 1272
Hello, Top 10: Lena, Bepa, Agi, Dinara
Goodbye, Top 10: Chakky, Dani, Mono
Hello Top 20: Caro, Flava Flav, Vika, The Cone, Domi, Kata
Goodbye, Top 20: Nikki V., Tati, Peer, Momo, Bammer, Agnes
Biggest Top 20 Jump: Dinara, 15 ---> 3
Biggest Top 20 Drop: Tati, 13 ---> 251
Other notable observations:
- Despite this being, arguably, a career year, this is the first year that AI hasn't improved on her ranking. In fact, she's dropped a spot, starting the year at #4.
- Bepa's strong run at the YEC meant that she pushed Masha to #9 in the rankings. This means that the two finalists at AO 2008 will probably be seeded #5 and #9, which is very significant. Since she'll be outside of the top four, Ana will have to play one of the top 4 girls in the quarterfinals. And since Masha is out of the top 8, she'll be the most dangerous floater in the group. Whichever side of the draw she lands in will easily be the toughest draw. If I remember my seedings correctly, Masha could start playing top seeded players as early as the third round.
- It's hard to believe that Sveta started the year as the #2 ranked player in the world and the #1 Russian. Now she's #8 and the #4 Russian. Hope her move home to the motherland snaps her out of this. She is far too talented to be ranked outside of the top 5.
- Given the point spread I don't anticipate any significant change in the rankings heading into AO 09. Dinara is within shooting distance of Serena, Venus could catch Ana since she has semifinal points to defend from Sydney, and if I'm Maria I'm going to want to try and pick up some points early to catch Sveta and get into the top 8. Sveta has Sydney final points to defend so Masha has a shot.