Stories of the Day
- Rafa plays a 3 hour 3 set match to advance to the second round. Bjorn Phau (best.name.ever) was awesome and played out of his mind. While he pushed Rafa to two tie-breakers, if you actually watched the match you never felt that Rafa was going to lose. He just had to weather the storm and keep holding serve. All in all, a good warm up match for Rafa. He did have to call a trainer early on to fix the tape job he does for his blisters. We'll have to keep an eye out on how that plays out.
- Lindsay looked good. She moved fairly well and most importantly was returning and serving lights out. It'll be interesting to see her play against a counterpuncher who can actually force her to run around a bit. Wozniak didn't do that much today.
- It was a good day to be a top seed unless your name rhymed with Schmokvatajde. All the top seeds got through except for Chakky, who continued the horrible play that surfaced in the New Haven final last weekend and lost to another Russian, Makarova. Outside of the top seeds, only three other seeds fell: MaKiri (boo!), Feli (boo!), and Peer (whatever).
- In form players stayed in form. Na Li, Ski Boots, JMDP, Lena D., Bepa, Blake, Muzza, and Vika Azarenka all got through to the second round.
- Donald Young showed flashes of brilliance in his 5 set loss to James Blake. Seriously, he looked like an American version of Andy Murray. Great court coverage, lulls you asleep, uses angles, and unleashes crazy kill shots. Here's hoping he finally gets some elite coaching, ditches his parents, and puts the work into being a pro. It's times like this that I wish he was an Adidas player, not a NIke player, so that he could take advantage of Adidas' in-house coaching staff.